Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Monday Musings

Disclaimer:  I know it's Wednesday...but Monday was my birthday so I moved the Musings to today for this week.  :)
 
I am a great one for planning.  Growing up, we were 30 minutes from anything (except the post office).  Even getting gas was a 30 minute trip to town! 
 
And what about holidays???  You had to make sure you had everything you needed because NO ONE was open Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, Easter, Good Friday...  If you didn't plan ahead, you learned to do without!
 
But looking too far ahead when searching for sea glass means you miss what is right in front of you. 
 
  
On my last trip, I wish I had looked up a little more than I did...I almost walked into a dead fish that was really high up on the beach.  My friend saw me heading towards it and warned me just before I stepped on it.  
    
But the odd dead fish aside, another good rule of thumb is to look carefully where you are walking, not 3-4 feet ahead. 
 
Most of the jewelry-grade sea glass I find is the size of a quarter or smaller.  They can be hard to see until you are right on top of them.  And when you are looking near the surf and the glass is wet, it almost seems to disappear.   
  
  
This is a picture of what I found on my last sea glass trip.  A nice mix of brown, white and green sea glass in a variety of sizes, which is perfect for all kinds of jewelry designs!
   
 We also found a lot of really amazing shells this trip.  As soon as I get the drill fixed (drilling sea glass is harder than it looks!) I'll be drilling a small hole in these beauties and creating some amazing necklaces with them! 
 
So I guess it's safe to say that while planning ahead is really important, don't forget to enjoy where you are right now!  After all, this time won't ever come again so enjoy it while you are here in it!


No comments:

Post a Comment